Thursday, November 3, 2011

Exploring Line

The hand on the left was drawn by my dominant hand, and the hand on the right by my non dominant hand.


1. What was it like using your hand as subject matter for a drawing?
I liked using my hand as a subject matter  because i could easily manipulate the angle from which I was seeing it, which side of it I drew or how I chose to pose it.  I felt like I could draw my hand a million times and each drawing could be different, yet still be of my hand.
2. What media did you select - pencil or charcoal? Why?
I chose pencil because the last time I chose charcoal it was messy and difficult to deal with.  I would like to try it again, but not for an assignment in which I have to use my non dominant hand--that would be a little much without practice.
3. How did it feel to create a drawing with your non-dominant hand?
Drawing with my non dominant hand felt extremely awkward.  I did not have the same control, and definitely did not feel as comfortable (which is even apparent in the pose I chose for my non dominant drawing.
4. Compare and contrast your final drawings. Do you think they are successful studies?
I think that they are successful studies, but if we have another non dominant vs. dominant piece I should go to an extreme with my non dominant hand.  Since I know it's not going to look exactly like my dominant hand drawing I should be okay with that and not try to hide it but take it to another level.
5. Would you consider using your non-dominant hand to create artwork in the future?
I definitely would use my non dominant hand again, maybe next time it wouldn't feel as awkward.

No comments:

Post a Comment