Monday, September 19, 2011

Elements and Principles Slideshow

http://s1101.photobucket.com/albums/g425/eshenoej01/?albumview=slideshow

Here is my slide show of photographs representing the elements and principles of art.  I am listing an explanation of why I chose each photograph to represent its specific element or principle, and then I will reflect on the overall process of completing the project.

Line:  I chose the photograph of the landscape to represent line because I thought the horizon was so well defined in an implied line that it would be a perfect example
Shape:  I took a picture of the change on my desk just to see how it would turn out, and after looking at it I decided to use the aerial view photograph of the money as shape because of the flat look that it gave
Color:  I took a picture of cupcakes my roommate made and frosted because the color scheme of the cupcakes, frosting and sprinkles represented a Halloween/Autumn theme that was clearly visible from color alone
Value:  I took a photo of my own eye to represent value, because I have always thought the value gradient from pupil to iris in an eye is striking
Texture:  For texture I used a photo I took with the back of my sister's wedding dress as the focus because her dress was very textured in the back and had a lot of surface quality
Form:  For form I took a picture of an old Pepsi Cola bottle that I use as a vase.  I liked this image because the see through glass bottle allows viewers to truly see the form and all three dimensions of it
Space:  I chose this picture for space because I think the spaces of the foreground and background are clearly visible and separated
Unity:  I took this picture quickly before having to jump into the photo myself.  I think it is a good representation of unity because although we are not all in the same outfit or posing the same way it is still visually pleasing
Variety:   I took the photo for variety because although each of the items pictured are stuffed animals, they are all different, there is a variety among them
Emphasis:  This picture is a great example of emphasis to me because the motion of pointing to something is to give emphasis to something and her pointing finger is the emphasis of the photo
Balance:  I chose this photo for balance because of the relieved symmetry shown in the table setting
Movement:  I liked this photograph for movement because I feel like it captured movement on all levels, my sister's hair and skirt are moving, my nephew is moving up in the air
Rhythm:  The pattern in this sweater represent rhythm well because of it's repeating nature
Proportion:  I thought that this photo showed the size relationship between my teenage sister and toddler nephew; she had to squat down to be on his level.

Overall, I really enjoyed this first project.  It was very hands on in nature and that forced me to gain a deeper understanding of the elements and principles of art because I did not just have to recognize them in someone else's work, but be able to use them in my own.  Thinking about what I wanted to capture to represent things made me contemplate what makes up each element and principle, and reviewing the photographs after I swapped some out for different elements and principles because I recognized some as better representations.

2 comments:

  1. I especially liked the images you chose for shape and color. You could tell that you thought about what images you really wanted for each element and principle. It was nice to see you use quite a few nice wedding photos as well and blend them into the slideshow while displaying the different types of art.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved your slide show on elements and principles. Your examples were great, I especially loved the movement theme. I thought that you captured that perfectly. I liked the fact that most of your pictures were family related. I think you did a great job.

    ReplyDelete