Friday, September 23, 2011

Exploring Value and the Subtractive Color Theory

1.  Creating the greyscale was actually really cool to do, and very relaxing (once I picked the right medium).  At first I tried to create the greyscale with charcoal because I thought the transition would be a little more seamless since charcoal smudges and blends, but as I started I soon realized how these qualities that make charcoal so great also make it very hard to deal with.  I made a mess of my paper and could not keep the white areas white because there was too much smudging.  I included a picture of my first steps of creating the greyscale with charcoal and a lot of the loose dust I had trouble not smudging is visible.  Making the color wheel was cool, too. I really do enjoy hands on work.  The thing I found really interesting about the color wheel was creating the black because although mixing all of the primary colors created black you could still see that it was a multitonal color...there was a visible difference between the black I created and a black acrylic paint you would buy.
2.  My favorite medium to work with was the pencil.  I think it was just because of what I had to do with it though, because I found it calming and relaxing and really enjoyed the time I spent creating a pencil greyscale.
3.  My most important discovery was with the charcoal.  I discovered how hard it can be to work with a medium for the first time and how artists probably create a lot of different trials and versions of things until they find what works best not just changing the layout, size or color scheme, but changing media too.
4.  I thought the videos were very helpful and informative for the project.  It was good to see another persons technique at creating something before doing it yourself, especially when (like me)  you do not have a great deal of experience with art.

Here is a link to digital copies of what I created for this project:
http://s1101.photobucket.com/albums/g425/eshenoej01/Exploring%20Value%20and%20Subtractive%20Color%20Theory/?albumview=slideshow

No comments:

Post a Comment