Sunday, October 2, 2011

Responding to Artwork

I visited the art gallery the Burchfield Penney, and thoroughly enjoyed the visit.  Here are some of my favorite images, some of the most moving, and some I thought showed the most skill...
3 artworks that made an impact or impression on me and why:
 George Eggers and Bolton Brown, Untitled, 1925, lithograph on paper.
This piece made an impression on me because of how beautiful it is.  The subject is ruins of a temple of some sort and amid all of the ruin and destruction a lot of beauty lies in the artwork, not a superficial beauty but beauty that can still be seen in the presence of ugly and it must take immense talent to be able to show that.

Alexis Jean Fournier, Snowbound, 1904, oil on canvas.
This painting made an impression on me because of the quality of the painting.  Standing back just six feet or so from where it was hanging it looked like a photograph.  The artist who made it must have amazing talent and I would definitely be interested in looking up more of their work.

George Eggers, Breakfast at Timberline, 1924, lithograph on paper.
This image is interesting because I am not sure what about it made it leave such an impression on me, but it really stuck with me.  The longer I looked at it the more I was seeing in the debris.  It gave me a sort of eerie feeling, but all at the same time I really enjoyed looking at it.

3 artworks I felt a connection with and why:
Grace Beals, Forest Setting, 1915, oil on canvas.
This painting meant a lot to me and I felt a deep connection with because Autumn has always been my favorite season, but more than my favorite because favorite isn't a strong enough word to describe it.  Autumn is like home to me, I feel like I am the happiest, and healthiest, and get the most out of life in Autumn and this painting made me so excited for this coming fall.
 Charles Burchfield, Study for A Small Town in August,1926, crayon and watercolor wash on paper.
I felt a connection with this piece because it felt very familiar to me.  I grew up in a small town, the same small town both of my parents grew up in and one set of grandparents.  This piece reminded me of old pictures from my grandparents in downtown Waterloo.  It was a cool feeling, being taken back to a time I had only visited through stories and photographs from those who actually experienced it.


 Claire Shuttleworth, Niagra Falls, 1913, oil on canvas.
I felt a connection with this painting because I felt like it was something I had seen before, as if I had seen that exact view of Niagra Falls before, even though the painting was created almost a century before I had ever seen the Falls.


 3 artworks I would like to know more about and why:
 John L. Garretson, Untitled, Undated, bromoil photograph.
This photograph alone drew my attention; I wanted to know who the woman was, whether the artist knew her, whether she knew he was taking a picture, where she was, so many questions came to my mind and then when seeing that it was untitled and undated my curiosity grew even more.  Naturally I am a very curious person so I will definitely have to look up more about this artwork, since the art gallery left me hungry for more information about it.

 Steina, Pyroglyphs, 1994, 3 Video Projections.
Viewing this artwork was  a moving experience.  Three huge video screens covered in flickering flames, the only light in a dark room, and the sound of a crackling fire playing from speakers hidden in the dark; not only is fire alone sort of hypnotizing, but on that scale it was almost overwhelming.  I looked at it for so long, and watched the flames dancing.  I would really like to know what message the artist wanted to convey with this; maybe the power of fire? Or, the beauty of it? I do not know, but it made me contemplate a lot of things.



Marion Faller, Portrait of Hollis Frampton, 1975, gelatin silver print.
This photograph was another that made me wonder what the artist was trying to convey.  It is a very interesting artwork, and it almost made me think of Plato's Allegory of the Cave and when the prisoner sees the first rays of sun and it hurts his eyes.  I don't quite know why it made me think of this, but it did and that made me wonder what the artist could have wanted me to get from it.  Is it an analogy for humans gaining knowledge?

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed seeing the artwork you chose from the trip to the art gallery. I am a Buffalo Native myself and after looking through all of the pieces you chose, Claire Shuttleworth's "Niagara Falls" stuck out to me. The work is right on and looks like a photograph. The artwork brings me back to visiting the Falls regularly throughout my life because of its close distance away. Niagara Falls has a magical feel to it, yet most of us take it for granted because we grew up so close to it. Your other images had so much variety as well and your outlook on the works were nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The artwork that you chose was great. I liked the one of Niagara Falls, it kind of gives you this smooth, relaxing atmosphere. I only been there once and I actually enjoyed my self.

    ReplyDelete